The area that is now Avon, Ohio, was originally settled in the early 1800’s. It was organized as Township No. 7 in 1814 and was named “Avon” in 1818 by students of Shakespeare in honor of the birth place of William Shakespeare. However, this did not become its official name until December of 1824. Avon’s population grew large enough for it to become a city in 1961. It is now 200 years since its beginning, which means we will be celebrating our bicentennial in 2014.
Avon has a charter form of government with an elected mayor and council. Council is comprised of seven members, three of whom are Council-at-Large and each of the four remaining council members represents one of our four wards.
The city measures 24 square miles and totals 15,360 acres. It is between 625 and 700 feet above sea level and has a relatively flat topography with the French Creek waterway running through it. Because of its rich soil, Avon was once a farming community with many acres of grape vineyards and green houses. As a matter of fact, Avon was once known as the greenhouse capital of the nation, with more acres under glass than any other area.
Now, Avon is known for a variety of things, including our schools, parks, retail areas and, of course, the ever-popular annual Avon Heritage Duct Tape Festival.
Over the last 15 to 20 years Avon has been a city in transition. We grew from the farming community it once was to the thriving area it is today that makes Avon known as “the place to be”.
Events on April 22, 2019
Request a Visit Lorain County Travel Guide